If you are thinking about visiting or moving to New Zealand, you need to know what kind of visa you need. As of 2019, there are three major visa categories:
- Residence class visas. These include resident and permanent resident visas.
- Temporary entry class visas. These are student, work, limited, and other kinds of visas.
- Transit visas. Transit visas are different from the other two visa classes.
In some cases, you don't need a visa. This is when you are:
- A New Zealand or Australian citizen or resident.
- A citizen of the United Kingdom.
- A citizen of a visa waiver country.
Note, however, that from 1 October 2019, some people may need an NZeTA for traveling to New Zealand. NZeTA (New Zealand Electronic Travel Authority) is a new travel requirement introduced by the New Zealand government and can be requested using the official mobile app or website.
Your go-to resource for all up-to-date information about getting visas should be https://www.immigration.govt.nz/. The official website of the New Zealand government is https://www.govt.nz/ and it also provides a lot of useful information about visas.
Lodging your visa application
Most of visa applications can be submitted online using the Immigration New Zealand website.